Samsung on Tuesday announced an update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is now available in Europe and South Korea for the Galaxy S II. An update for the Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy R,Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Tab 7.7, Tab 8.9 and Tab 10.1 will follow in the near future. Samsung is also planning firmware updates for the Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab 7 that will remain on Android 2.3 Gingerbread but will include Face Unlock, Snapshot, Photo Editor and other features. “We expect that our customers will enjoy an enhanced experience with their GALAXY device through this upgrade. Samsung is committed to satisfying our customer needs”, said JK Shin, Samsung’s mobile boss. The availability of the updates will vary by market and are subject to wireless carrier approval. Read on for Samsung’s press release.
Samsung has announced that it’s sold 30 million Galaxy S phones worldwide since the series launched last April. At least a third of that number consists of sales of Samsung’s latest and greatest dual-core smartphone, the Galaxy S II. As we reported last month, sales of that device now top 10 million worldwide.
As Apple and Samsung continue to battle incessantly over patents, a new report claims South Korea-based Samsung Electronics is preparing a new offensive that will target Apple’s iPhone 5. Apple has yet to unveil its next-generation iPhone but according to a report from The Korea Times, Samsung is already preparing an attack on the device. “Just after the arrival of the iPhone 5 here, Samsung plans to take Apple to court here for its violation of Samsung’s wireless technology related patents,” an unnamed Samsung executive reportedly told The Korea Times. “For as long as Apple does not drop mobile telecommunications functions, it would be impossible for it to sell its i-branded products without using our patents. We will stick to a strong stance against Apple during the lingering legal fights.” Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone 5 in the coming weeks.
We reported last week that according to an industry insider, Microsoft was in talks to purchase at least a portion of Nokia’s business. Both companies denied the report, with Nokia’s CEO Stephen Elop calling the rumors “baseless”. Samsung Electronics, however, is the latest company rumored to be making a bid for Nokia, The Wall Street Journal is reporting. When reached for comment, Samsung wouldn’t speak on the rumors. Nokia also had no comment. Regarding the Nokia rumor, BGR spoke with Eldar Murtzain, who originally reported the Microsoft and Nokia news, and he indicated that Nokia wanted more money than Microsoft was offering ($28 billion instead of $19 billion).
Copyright © 2011 DroidMasters.com